Friday, April 25, 2008

I don't want to be green today mummy

I bought my first pair of vegan-friendly shoes today (ok, so vegan is not necessarily green, but it's a step in the green direction)... and the reason this purchase is significant, and that I'm taking the time to write about it - is that my energetic 3-year old was largely responsible for it ! ..and not only that, I now realize that my 'I don't want to be green today mummy' daughter could end up being the biggest positive influence, in my biggest going green challenge.
You see.. I love to shop.. and shopping isn't very green (reduce, reuse, recycle). My main past-time pre-Teagan was shopping, and during the first nine months of Teagan's life, shopping continued to be a fabulously fun thing to do (the stroller holds so many bags !). But, as Teagan learned to walk, run, shout, jump.. and finally today, loudly sing while energetically jumping on the chair next to me in the shoe department.. well, lets just say shopping is not such a treat any more !.. unless she is asleep of course, like last week, when the shopping trip returned to near fabulousness - emm, that is, $500 worth of fabulousness ! So, quick summary.. energetic Teagan = short shopping trip = $70 vegan friendly shoes; asleep Teagan = looong (super-fun) shopping trip = $500 not-so-green purchases.
...then I guess I have no choice - to be green, Teagan must be well-rested before all shopping trips (and suggesting a day of shopping sans Teagan for mothers day would be way out of the green question!).
BTW, in case you are wondering - even though the shoes were purchased in a hurry, amidst lots of 'please sit down's' - I LOVE them !!... so I think it's only fair to say, that after today, my toddler is turning me a wee bit greener !

No comments: